Evo Beshinsky flew 170 kms from a 300' site in Alberta.

Had a flight? Let us know!

Evo Beshinsky flew 170 kms from a 300' site in Alberta.

Postby siteguide » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:06 am

Evo Beshinsky flew 170 kms from a 300 foot prairie ridge soaring site in Alberta.

Come on Evo!!! Tell us the story!!!
siteguide

Re: Evo Beshinsky flew 170 kms from a 300' site in Alberta.

Postby alienskyrider » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Hi guys...still recovering my broken ankle and have lots of time to read and write..

Here is a brief story of my pleasantly surprising flight on June 7 2012 from Camrose Ridge,AB

Conditions:
Wind speed and direction was perfect- S @ 20km/h
Clear skies and pretty hot day around 28C

Take off: 2800ft
Highest climb of the day 11000ft

Wing: Gradient Avax XC3

On that day my brother Alex and me arrived on launch at 2pm. It was first time for us to explore this flying site. Its a very nice long soaring ridge with many top landing options. Looking and the size of the hill and the wind speed needed to soar it made potential XC expectations pretty low. But wind soaring with lots of top landings and skimming the ground is a whole lot of fun on its own..... and off we went-_-
We were soaring the ridge with many top landings as wind speed was decreasing at some intervals. Couple of times we found a week useable thermal that took us about 200ft over launch but the wind was shredding it quickly. For about 2h we kept playing and pushing forward as far as we could, looking for some useable thermals until I got lucky on a little crease starting ways out in front of the hill slowly climbing up in a big thermal that blocked most of the wind. Hoping to get high enough before i drift back to the hill so I can continue to work out the thermal over the back. Happily for me it happened exactly as I was hoping and it took me to about 10 000 ft. But my brother happened to be further down the ridge and couldn't join the thermal, which was disappointing for the moment. But being that high over flat ground (2800ft)I was feeling like on top of the world :eagle:
Looking down at the ground and feeling even worst that my brother didn't get the same chance to climb out I had to concentrate on the XC opportunity that I was given. So I did. Charged speed bar and started flying down wind very fast. Over 70km ground speed, focusing on my next potential thermal trigger. As we all know flat land flying is can be very challenging in finding your next thermal source, especially in clear skies.
Having the best brother proved priceless again. Instead continuing to search for another good thermal cycle he went and landed immediately, packed up his gear, got into the truck and started to chase me down :bait:
We had no radio communication nor my spot so I was not aware of his actions. Just my GPS and a long shirt on my back. (turned out to be shivering cold up there but I don't give up excellent XC conditions for being cold-_-Surprising to me throughout the whole flight thermals were big and smooth..real pleasure to thermal up. About 45min before the end of my flight my GPS batteries died and had to change them which resulted in split track log which up to date couldn't merge together. So now on Leonardo there are 2 flights posted with about 5min gap.
About 3:30h later I flew past a small village and perhaps could of continued few extra km but was heading into plain fields with not a single house. Was 7:30pm and decided to go back and land in the Village, which is called Andrew,AB
Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my brother parking next to me.
He told me that he chased me all the way by driving with over 90km on dirt and some paved roads and not loosing me out of sight through many road changes and looking and the GPS to avoid dead end roads.
After an awesome XC day being picked up immediately by extremely skillful para-hunter was the best feeling ever!
To my calculations of the combined track log , flight was about 170km. My personal best so far. Hungry for more :chowdown:

Safe and Long flights to ALL

Evo
Last edited by alienskyrider on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alienskyrider

Postby RichardB » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:16 pm

RichardB

Postby alienskyrider » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:36 pm

Thanks. Glad to share this exciting experience. Can't wait to fly again!
alienskyrider

Return to Flight Log