Kamloops to Barrier

Had a flight? Let us know!

Kamloops to Barrier

Postby gimlet » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:08 am

Well a few folks have asked me to post this. A few weeks back We where flying Little Dome here in Kamloops. Conditions there looking favorable with light south winds (3-6km). Launching at about 3:30 and climbing out almost immediately. First climb was up 4300ft then a little adjustment and up to 7200ft. With south winds slightly stronger at height I decided to head north and found big sink but pressed on to the Bench 3km uprange. I regained altitude climbing to 9200ft. I continued to head up range for 11km with little loss of altitude and decided to make the jump to Heffley another 10km. I left the mountain at 8600 and arrived 4600 looking for rock features that would provide lift. Discovered a nice thermal and climbed again to 6800. I continued north for 8km looking for opportunity and discovered some good lift to 7900 and went on glide again for a short distance and found lift to 9500 this was enough to carry me past the canyon and into the valley. I was past McLure approaching Louis Creek I was so surprised I had made it I made a rookie mistake. Instead of turning left to reach the western slopes with the 6700ft I had over the hump I pressed north Landing 11km past Barrier. I retrospect I think I could have made the jump to western hills behind but who knows. Anyway as I understand it this is a first and hope to get some input from any pilots that have flown this area, or any advice for next time :-) The track log is available at http://www.paraglidingforum.com/leonardo/tracks/world/alltimes/brand:all,cat:0,class:all,xctype:all,club:all,pilot:0_9456,takeoff:all
gimlet

Re: Kamloops to Barrier

Postby RichardB » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:11 am

Nice flight Terry!

Thanks for the link to the flight log -I love google earth !
:thumbsup:
RichardB

Return to Flight Log